Monday, October 18, 2010

We LOVE Elizabeth Mitchell!

When Josephine was just a wee little thing, I saw a review for Elizabeth Mitchell's "You Are My Little Bird" CD in Mothering Magazine and that was the beginning of what has become a complete love affair with her music!  Fast forward three years and the full collection later ("You Are My Sunshine," "You Are My Flower," "Catch The Moon" and her latest "Sunny Day") and we are still over-the-moon about the songs that she and her family have added to our own family's history.
I really could go on and on for days about how these songs have formed the backdrop for our lives since Josie was born - only three voices on the planet could calm baby Josie: mine, her dad's and Elizabeth Mitchell's.  There are so many memories of me nursing her off to sleep singing "Los Pollitos" and the day when she was old enough to add her own "pio, pio, pio" just about melted my heart.  And then there's her rendition of  "Three Little Birds" which will get its own post very soon.  And Josie's newest obsession "Shoe Lie Loo" where they sing "Hey Miss Jojo" and Josie screams, "That's me! She knows my name!!!" All told, Elizabeth Mitchell and family (and the "and family" part is a big deal) make brilliant music. It's not "kids music" per se.  Sure, there are silly verses and sing-songy rhymes but they are paired perfectly with beautiful, peaceful, lyrical songs with depth and meaning.  As I said, I could go on and on for days.  But, I'll stop there for now and leave you with this.  If you don't own any Elizabeth Mitchell CDs. Get them NOW.  Here - I'll make it easy for you!  Two - if you still need convincing, check out this video of the snippets I put together of Josie and Lyla at her concert in Chicago earlier this month.  It was Lyla's second birthday and Josie's "Beatles moment."  Front row. Absolute awe. Pure Joy. Tears in her mama's eyes. A flood of memories. The passage of time. Absolute gratitude. Enjoy.




Oh - at the end of this video Josie is pretending to be Elizabeth Mitchell on her own stage. She's singing "Three Little Birds" but you really have to crank up the volume to hear it. Technical difficulty. Sorry.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

SOOOo sweet! Elizabeth Mitchell gives such great music for kids. One of my faves!

Melissa said...

So cute! E was sitting on my lap and dancing along too, might have to get some of her music for her :)